Q&A: Sinéad O'Connor

'What is the worst thing anyone's said to me? "Your mother has been killed in a car crash"'
Sinéad O'Connor, 46, was born in Ireland. She released her first album in 1987, followed in 1990 by the multi-platinum I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got. Old Lady is the new single from her ninth album, How About I Be Me (And You Be You)? She's been married four times, has four children and lives near Dublin.
When were you happiest? 
When I am performing, and when my kids make musical mayhem.
What is your greatest fear? 
Anything bad happening to my kids.
What is your earliest memory?
John Lennon's voice on my mother's eight-track.
Which living person do you most admire and why?
Muhammad Ali. I never liked him boxing; offstage, he was an archangel.
What is your most treasured possession?
My copy of the Tanakh and a locket holding a relic of the priestly garment (supposedly) of Pope John Paul I.
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I love my glorious appearance!
If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
God.
What is your least appealing habit?
Sleeping in my clothes, wearing them next day, sleeping in them…
What is your favourite book?
My brother Joseph's novel, Redemption Falls.
What would be your fancy dress costume of choice? 
Agent Provocateur.
What is the worst thing anyone's said to you?
"Your mother has been killed in a car crash."
To whom would you most like to say sorry and why?
To myself, for telling myself I was a piece of shit for so many years, when in fact I'm wonderful.
What is your guiltiest pleasure?
I don't do guilt.
What is your favourite smell?
A man called Jamie.
What or who is the love of your life?
My children.
What does love feel like?
Like you're home.
Which living person do you most despise and why?
The O'Connor family motto is, "I neither fear nor despise."
Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Dave Chappelle and Robert Downey Jr (and there'd be nothing on the table but me and them).
What has been your biggest disappointment?
That so far none of my children has told me they're gay.
If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I'd have a non-violent childhood.
If you could go back in time, where would you go?
How do you relax?
I skank, Rootsman.
What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
If Dave and Robert came to dine.
What keeps you awake at night?
The possibility that my forensic accountant might not be mistaken about various people badly using me.
What song would you like played at your funeral?
What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
To be yourself, no matter what.
Where would you most like to be right now?
With Dave and Robert.
Tell us a secret
There's a fantastic app coming out that will let anyone make a record with any musician. It's going to change the face of music.