Tricky Gets Ominous in 'Does It' - Premiere

Trip-hop pioneer talks about upcoming album 'False Idols'

"I feel slightly stupid," Tricky explains to Rolling Stone about how, at age 45 – after emerging in the late Eighties as a torchbearer of the trip-hop movement with Massive Attack, releasing the critically praised solo debut Maxinquaye in 1995, and being long known for his outspoken nature – he's finally making music on his own terms. "I just needed freedom to do what I wanna do. Now there's no rules. It's out of the box. That's the only that's going to work with artists like me."
And so comes False Idols, the debut release on the rapper's label of the same name. Out May 28th, Tricky's 10th studio album features collaborations with Nneka and the Antlers' Peter Silberman as well as the track "Does It," a bass-anchored meditation on personal and societal ills. Now you can get an exclusive first look at the track's music video here.
"That literally was done in two hours in my apartment," Tricky says of the video's dark and ominous footage, in which images of the dreadlocked rapper whispering into the mike are interspersed with B-roll of war and protest. "I'm a happy guy," the rapper contends, "but I know where this comes from. I've seen a lot of violence since I was six or seven years of age."
Tricky says he sees himself as one of a few contemporary artists willing to tackle the tough issues. "No one's saying anything anymore," he says. "This pop-star stuff, it's played out. That's for teenyboppers – eight-year-olds that can be manipulated. There's no Kurt Cobains around at the moment."